Call to Artists
Become a GRO Member Artist
Gallery Route One artist membership is open to all professional artists living in the greater San Francisco Bay area. Artists from historically underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply because GRO embraces diversity, equity access and inclusion.
We review artwork in all media including video and installation, but not crafts.
Applications are reviewed quarterly by a panel of GRO artist members.
Deadlines for each quarter are: March 31, June 30, September 30, December 31.
There is a $25 portfolio review fee.
After an initial screening of the online application, artists will be asked to bring in three pieces of current artwork for jury review. The final stage in the application process is a personal interview.
Applications are judged on:
- Quality of the artwork
- Dedication to artistic practice
- Professional presentation of your artwork
- Applicant’s willingness to work in a collaborative way within the organization.
- Applicant’s willingness and ability to support gallery programming by paying dues and performing tasks necessary for running a professional art gallery including gallery staffing and committee participation.
Newly admitted artists commit to an 18 month initial membership, which includes paying dues for the entire 18 months, performing gallery tasks, gallery staffing, and attending member meetings.
All members are required to sign a Membership Contract.
Dual Membership: Artists may request to join as a Dual Member, essentially sharing the benefits, cost and responsibilities of a single membership with another artist. The application is the same for full or dual membership. You may apply singly if there is a dual membership open, or two artists may apply together.
All applications are online (link below). To prepare your online application in advance you will need:
- Current resume in .pdf or .docx format
- A brief statement about your artwork/process
- A brief statement about why you wish to join Gallery Route One as an Artist Member
- 8 images of recent artwork in .jpeg format (3 mb maximum per image)
- Filenames for each image should be in this format:
Firstname-Lastname-title-medium-size-date. Size format is HxWxD. Please do NOT use quote, inch or ampersand symbols in the filename. Dashes, underlines and spaces are ok.
- One personal reference.
- Links to your website or blog (optional)
For questions about GRO or GRO Artist Membership please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Click the button below to begin your application. Applications can be saved and returned to if not immediately completed.
Artists in the Schools Application for Teaching Artists
Gallery Route One invites artists to apply and participate in the Artists in the Schools Program for the upcoming academic year.
More Exhibition Opportunities at Gallery Route One
GRO holds an annual juried exhibition in January / February open to Northern California artists; sign up for our mailing list to learn when we will accept entries for our next Juried Show.
Our famous Box Show usually has a few openings each year; sign up at the front desk to be on the waiting list for a box.
The Visiting Artist Program reviews exhibition proposals at least once per year. More information coming soon. Join our mailing list to learn when proposals are being accepted.